Pop. 902; 320 km NW of
Sydney, 44 N of Scone.
Murrurundi is at the head
of the Hunter Valley. Its Aboriginal name means 'where the mists
sit'. The town's history goes back a long way, with the first
settlers arriving in the 1820s. In following years it became a halt
for those heading across the ranges into the Liverpool Plains.
The White Hart
and Royal Hotels have a long tradition of serving the
traveller, the White Hart having played this role since
1842. The court house and St Joseph"s Catholic Church
both date from the 1860s.